Wednesday 4 June 2008

Telling myself it's true

I spent last night with him. A boy who means more to me than I've ever liked to admit, even to myself. Recently I've come to realise that people change as the times change, and that maybe someone you once never believed can now be trusted. This theory will be put to the test over the next few weeks, I'm sure, but for now I'm playing it by ear. Which is not a process I enjoy. Needs must however, and I'm happy just to have him back in my life. We drank, we talked, we watched films and we laughed. I love Leeds, and it really is an option for my MA. But looking deeper into the courses today, Sheffield stand out so much more. Any course where I can study realism, Russian literature and the evolution of Chartism is clearly tailor made for me. But that's another bridge to be crossed later.

Films.
Yesterday I watched La Vie en Rose, an absolutely fantastic biography of Edith Piaf. Whilst subtitled films obviously require much greater concentration than my usual fare, I found that I was still able to connect to the characters and tragedies on the screen. In terms of cinematography the entire film was evocative of its era, lush yet muted colours which truly suited the time and place of the action. Marion Cotillard was a revelation, and I understand the Awards buzz around her now. Wonderful.
Today has been a mixed bag. Black Sheep is awful. That's all that needs to be said. The Lost Boys, whilst enjoyable, felt distant to me. I felt no real interest or connection, and merely treated the film as something to look at rather than watch. Bright Young Things on the other hand was phenomenal. As with La Vie en Rose, the entire cinematography and feel of the film created the period setting so wonderfully that I almost felt as though I was enjoying the decadent '30s myself. Funny, smart, colourful and sarcastic in a way that screams of Mr. Fry, any film involving James McAvoy and David Tennant could hardly have failed to disappoint me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bright Young Things is one of my favourite films *ever*. I adore it, it's pretty-much perfect.

Have you read Vile Bodies? It's equally good (though has less David Tennant).