Monday 2 June 2008

I am not afraid to keep on living

It was inevitable. I've ranted to various friends about it so much that a blog was bound to happen. So here it is.

The death of Hannah Bond has sparked yet another debate into the influence music has on people's lives. The poor girl happened to be a My Chemical Romance fan, therefore the band must be responsible for her depression. Yes, I am a MCR fan, but I'm going to write this in a completely unbiased way. Although I am listening to The Black Parade as I write. But that's just because it's a very good album.

The "suicide cult" of MCR, as it was termed by that pillar of journalistic integrity, the Daily Mail, is ludicrous. This is a band who use every chance they get to speak out against suicide and self-harming. A band with a very large following in the difficult teenage years of people's lives. A band with possibly the most passionate fans I have ever met in my life. A band who truly care about the impact their music has on the lives of their fans. The Daily Mail of course chose to ignore the various quotes I could use to support my argument, and which the Black Parade in London on Saturday publicised very well.

This has sparked a large level of debate about "emo" music and how it encourages depression, self-harm and suicide in its fanbase. As someone who went through a very dark period as a teenager, and whose life was honestly saved by music, I feel so strongly about this whole issue that I can barely phrase a sentence. Teenagers have a hard time. It's the way it is and the way it always has been. The way it always will be in fact. It's called puberty people. Everyone goes through a learning curve as a teenager, and EVERYONE copes in different ways. I personally withdrew into myself, devoted myself to music, spent all my time and money at shows, lived through the internet and wore more black than usual. I think anyone who knows me will agree that this seems to have done the trick for me - I'm still alive and I have the best friends in the world. I've never hurt myself or anyone around me, but I would by no means condemn anyone who had found self-harm or suicide to be their only release.

What the press seem to have neglected in this whole thing is just why Hannah killed herself. I've just looked through the websites of all the major newspapers and the coverage given by some of them is laughable. The Sun - "She joined the cult based around a genre of rock music with sad themes and emotional lyrics, hence emo. Fans wear black and have dark hair. Many self harm and Hannah was among them". The Telegraph - "Hannah Bond, 13, hanged herself from a bunk bed in her bedroom with a tie believing her death would impress fellow followers of the “emo” movement, it was said" and "She had even scratched her wrists in a form of self-harm often seen as a form of initiation into the popular fashion and lifestyle fad followed by young people who dress in black like their older “Goth” crowd". And, of course, The Mail. Too many gems to pick from. But I personally liked this part, defining the characteristics of the 'emo':
"Emos like guitar-based rock with emotional lyrics.
American bands such as My Chemical Romance, Good Charlotte and Blink 182 are particular favourites."

How anyone could define Blink 182 as a band that are part of a suicide cult is beyond me, and Good Charlotte saved my life. It's that simple. Alongside MCR, GC are one of the most outspoken bands when it comes to suicide. They could never be accused of promoting or glamourising self-harm. Listen to "Hold On" people, you know I'm right.

Hannah left a suicide note, but of course the contents won't be published. This is fair enough, but I'm sure it would shed some light on the issues really at the heart of this tragedy. Her parents seem content to let a musical genre and a band that clearly meant a lot to their daughter be blamed, which to me seems to prove that they really missed the point. This band was important to Hannah, that much is clear. If I killed myself now, would people blame Trio?

Last week a guy from my class at FPHS had half of his ear bitten off when he was attacked by a gang of chavs. Last August, Sophie Lancaster was beaten to death by chavs for being a goth in Whitworth/Bacup - part of my hometown, technically speaking. Whilst what happens in Rochdale is nothing unique, growing up here has given me an insight into the link between music and life. Music and happiness. Without music, I doubt I'd be here now. Music gave me my closest friends, my fondest memories and my greatest dreams. The wider fashions attached to any particular genre of music are optional - listening to MCR doesn't automatically make you dress in a soldier jacket and wear ridiculous amounts of eyeliner, it's always your decision. People want to feel a bond with those around them, and if the bond that they find comes from dressing in skinny jeans and listening to Taking Back Sunday, then why should we object? I know for a fact that my parents were glad to see me and my brother going to shows and playing in a band whilst many of the other kids at our school were getting drunk on street corners and fighting with everyone that didn't worship them. I've never once heard a report of a gang of "goths" or "emos" stabbing a chav for dressing differently. Think about it, and I bet you never have either.

Of course, I'm doing much the same thing as the press has. I'm stereotyping, I know that. But for the purpose of argument, labels are the easiest way to describe what I mean in an instantly recognisable way. Everyone will know what I mean by what I've said above, and that's the point. What I am NOT doing is deconstructing the label and explaining why the components of it are responsible for the behaviour of those branded by it. I am by no means saying that everyone who appears to be a chav would fight, drink or kill, or that the music they listen to or the clothes they wear are responsible for their behaviour.

And that's where I differ from the press. I understand the concept of individual choice and personality determining actions. Music means more to me than anything else, and I will defend it against any attack. ANY music, whether I like it or not.

No musician can be blamed for anything a fan does. They tried to blame Marilyn Manson for Columbine (worst choice of scapegoat ever). Rap music is regularly blamed for shootings and glamourising violence. And now it seems 'emo' is to be blamed for any alternative teenager having issues too great for them to deal with.


This is the worst structured rant ever, but I think I've got a lot of what's on my mind out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, it's ridiculous isn't it? Because quite obviously, teenagers never got depressed before emo music came along. *sigh*

Heck, I got depressed as a teenager (as do 99% of the population) and I was a bloody hippie. Must be all those suicide messages in the music of the Beatles.

I hate the Daily Mail. But it does provide such amusement at times.

'McGuinness said...

Did the Guardian have something to say about it? Perhaps the Independent blamed climate change as a reason for her depression, ignoring the music altogether.

Mike xxx