Sunday 17 February 2008

At the speed of a yellow bullet

Today I considered doing something worthwhile. Perhaps making a start on the essay which I know is only going to go away with a conscious effort from me. Instead, I lay in bed for three hours contemplating the amount I had to do this week.
I went to see my Dad today. I've still not entirely adjusted to the fact that Dad just isn't there anymore, the way he was when I was 14 and I'd come home from a friend's to see him sat watching TV. I know it's now three years since they split, and I'm fine with it all, but some things just never feel quite right. I love Paula and her kids though, so the impending wedding doesn't really pose a threat to my mental stability. Were Mum to marry Dave, the situation would of course be entirely different. Speaking of which, he is yet to say a word to me on this visit home. Admittedly, I've only seen him once for a matter of minutes, but the effort would be nice. The summer will be interesting, as I'll be here when I really want to be elsewhere. With the boy maybe.
I saw Juno again, with Zoe. Further proof if needed that I really do get on quite well with Paula's family, I'd never spend time in a voluntary social situation with Dave's kids. Once again, I adored it. The whole thing feels so natural and fantastically warm, I can't help but smile whenever I even think of it. And of course Michael Cera is my new favourite geek, so that aspect of the film can never be underappreciated by me.
Sometimes the boy can be fantastic, as he's proved a few times today. It's perhaps slightly disturbing that his sense of humour is so close to my Dad's, but oh well. I might consider being a bit more like myself with him, if I can completely work out who myself is. It's been so long I fear I may have forgotten.

No comments: